Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Like they said it was


To draw a parallel, we live in the America of the 1950's, the baby boomer generation was it called? I don't mean in the way of life or comforts. I mean as a state of mind. Life is good isn't it? I mean even with major economic powers juiced in the global recession, we've fared far better, whatever the reasons may be. We're in a rocking mood. The world is going dizzy about the Swine flu scare, but we couldn't be bothered. We're still crowding the malls, filling the multiplexes, eating out, falling in love with the perfect match, getting married, having babies, buying suburban real estate, being the perfect father, the adoring mother, being the nice couple, wonderful neighbours, living the brand new, great Indian dream. We're a nation on the cusp. Cusp of possibilities. Cusp of glorious opportunities. Cusp of conformity. Cusp of emptiness.


Just around the corner seems to lurk a terrible monster. Doubt. Waking up suddenly one day to find what the fuck just happened in the last 10 years? Did I not want to be something else? The neighbours don't seem so great anymore but only as a reflection of the drab reality of our own lives. It is the age where one can easily make a career out of a job he didn't like to begin with. Paying EMIs on things he never really cared any more than the recent blockbuster movie.


It is amusing how at these times we all start getting more and more interested in astrology. Maybe there could even be a sudden spike in occult businesses. Even to pass the time perhaps but we want to know, we hope to know, that the future is different. Maybe a tad more interesting. A tad more according to our own rules and less according to a collectively compiled code. Codes of behaviour. Codes of ethics. Codes of the right thing and the wrong.


Seems depressing doesn't it? But hey, if we are indeed living in the 50s America, at least the beatniks, hippies and a fascinatingly free age are coming. Maybe by the late 2010s, we once again will rediscover our souls. We will once again be free. There will once again be a new order. An order questioning most orders, an order of true nature. In such times if I regret anything, it will be the fact that once again I would miss it coinciding with my prime. I wasn't there in the 60s when I wished I was in my 20s and once again I won't be. But I guess if that era has taught us anything at all, it is that you can be whoever you want and you will accepted for exactly that.


We only need to make sure that we allow the ushering in of the time far more easily than it was back in the day. Or is that precisely the fun?


No comments: